Thursday, January 15, 2015

Please Stay Forever Young

You know with everything that has happened over the past year, I've been doing A LOT of thinking, reflecting, in search of change in certain areas of my life. It's ironic how tragedies or major life events always tend to bring those about. I spend so much of my life running. Running from this appointment, that class, this school for that kid. It's hectic and I'm finding a hard time balancing it all, but last night something so simple brought so much of it into perspective. 

I started my second to last semester as a college student and as an Early Childhood major it basically means that 3 days a week is consumed by school where I only get to see my children in the morning while I'm sending them off to school and then kiss their sweet heads as they sleep, when I finally get home. The first week isn't even done and I've already done my share of crying... like a lot! I'm not used to being away from them like this. 

As I snuck into my sons room last night, he woke up and I got to spend a few precious moments one on one with him. I asked him how his day was and he asked me about mine. I shared with him this really awesome counting book that I made with my peer colleagues in class that consisted of "How to Build a Snowman".. Olaf style ;) As sleepy as he was, his face lit up and said that he loved me so much and couldn't wait for me to be a teacher. Oh my sweet baby boy, how I don't want you to grow up! With all the hustle and bustle, I'm so guilty of rushing them and sometimes yelling... "GET YOUR SHOES ONNNNN!!!" " We don't have time for that" "Not today"... oh my gosh the list goes on and on. I forget that time with them, even those extra five minutes at the end of the day, is sooo stinking precious. 

One day I will have a house that stays clean for more than an hour, one day I will have the freedom to go to any event I chose without finding a babysitter, one day I won't have to listen to my human Godzilla roaring and knocking down everything in sight, and one day princess dresses, dolls, and colored walls will no longer consume my life. Sometimes I long for those days, but that means my babies will be grown, my name will go from Mommy to mom, and quite frankly I'm not ready for that. I crave my alone time, but I also crave time with my babies, exactly how they are right now. That day is not today, nor tomorrow, or the next. As I wished my sweet boy back to sleep, I also wished that day would never come. Their love and innocence keeps me alive in the hardest of times, they allow my soul to stay forever young. I vow to slow down, to cherish the time I get with them, they are priority over all things because they won't stay little forever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment